The brother of a Married At First Sight contestant who became an internet sensation earlier this week thanks to his good looks has addressed allegations he was violent towards an ex-girlfriend.
Rhyce Power, whose sister Jessika is one of the brides on the Channel 9 reality show, initially denied the rumours which began circulating on social media after he was featured in Tuesday night’s episode.
On his Instagram he wrote, “Don’t believe everything you hear on social media. of course crazy ex girlfriend (sic) are going to come out with some ridiculous claims”.
This morning the 27-year old, who is a carpenter and part-time stripper, called in to KIIS FM’s Kyle and Jackie O show and confirmed that an ex-girlfriend had taken out a Violence Restraining Order against him in Western Australia last year.
At the start of the interview, Jackie O said to him, “Some reports are saying that you pushed a girl, grabbed her around the throat, threw objects at her when you were in a relationship.
“Another girl has told a similar story that you were also violent towards her.”
Mr Power replied, “Yeah, so this has come out in the media and it’s obviously exaggerated quite a lot.
“What happened was, me and my ex-girlfriend had a pretty toxic relationship towards the end of it. We both said a lot of things that we probably shouldn’t have said.
“We kind of went our own ways and she wasn’t very happy about the breakup so I’ve been interviewed by police about violence and that kind of stuff for about an hour. No charges were laid because there was no proof or anything, it never happened, and then I was issued with a VRO (Violence Restraining Order).”
Mr Power said the incident took place “about six months ago” and he told the KIIS FM hosts that he plans to go to court to try and get the order removed.
“I knew me and her weren’t going to see each other again so I kind of just left it as it is and I didn’t expect this fame to blow up,” he said on air.
“Are you saying there was no violence but because the relationship was toxic, you’re saying that she made false claims?” Sandilands asked.
“She’s made false claims, yeah. I have no criminal history of violence, no charges were laid,” Mr Power responded.
“As no charges were laid I can get it taken off my record but that’s going to be time I’ve got to take off work to go to court to get it removed.
“I do plan on getting it removed … before it didn’t bother me because I’m just a normal, everyday guy.”
Multiple women have alleged to NewsCorp that Mr Power either physically or emotionally abused them in the past.
One woman claimed that Mr Power grabbed her around the throat and pushed her, while another told NewsCorp that he pushed her down a flight of stairs.
But Mr Power has denied being violent towards women.
“I’m so far against violence against women and men,” Mr Power said on radio.
“I’ve been asked to be an ambassador for violence against women and I’m doing a couple of charities this weekend for women which I think is going to portray me in a good light.
“All I can do is just accept what’s happened and try and move on from it and try and show the public I’m not like that.”