- The United Nation (UN) is a world organisation Formed in 24th October,1945. It came into existence after World War II, When the Leaders of the World, Including American President Roosevelt and British Prime Minister Churchill, decided to Create a world organisation that would help to Ensure peace.
- The original membership of 51 nations has grown to 193 embers. The 193rd member being the newly created South Sudan. The United Nations Headquarters is in New York City. The UN also has offices in Nairobi (Kenya), Geneva (Switzerland) and Vienna (Austria).
- The General Assembly is the main place for discussions and policy making in the United Nations.
- The Security Council has primary Responsibility for the Maintenance of International Peace and security. The Security Council is made up of 15 members.
- There are five permanent members of the Secutiry Council-China, France, Russia, United Kingdom and USA and 10 non-permanent members elected for 2 Years terms starting on 1st January,
Non-Permanent Members Of UNSC
|Country||Term Began||Term Ends|
- Economic and Social Council is the principal body for coordination, Policy review, Policy dialogue, and recommendations on economic, Social and Environmental Issues. The secretariat comprises the Secretary-General and other staff who carry out the day-to-day work of the U.N.
- The International Court of Justice (ICJ). Located in the Hague, Netherlands, is the Primary Juidical organ of the United Nations, established in 1945 by the United Nations Charter, the Court began work in 1946, as the successor to the Permanent Court of International Justice.
- Trygve Lie of Norway (1946-52) was the first Secretary-General of the UN.
- Antonio Guterres is the new Secretary General of UN. He succeed Ban ki-Moon